Phenomenal miniseries WandaVision continues to work its magic on and offline, as it grants Marvel Cinematic Universe 23 nominations at the 73rd annual Emmy Awards this year. That gives the mega-franchise a total of 28 nominations combined with the Falcon and The Winter Soldier’s five noms.
The selections, announced on Wednesday, July 13, at 11:30 p.m. PST, lists WandaVision as the second-most nominated show next to The Crown and The Mandalorian with 24 each.
As the Deadline reports, this is also the first time that a Marvel series has arguably been recognized in the above-the-line categories. Previously, Marvel live-action series were lauded by the Emmys in below-the-line slots
WandaVision is qualified for Outstanding Limited Series, while the show’s lead stars Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany were listed in the Best Actress and Best Actor categories respectively. Olsen was nominated for her portrayal of Wanda Maximoff a.k.a. Avenger-slash-sorceress Scarlet Witch. Bettany played Vision, Wanda’s Mind Stone-infused synthezoid husband that previously died in Avengers: Endgame.
Kathryn Hahn also snagged a spot in the Limited Series Supporting Actress category, as Agatha Harkness, the couple’s nosy next-door neighbor that turned out to have many dark secrets.
Meanwhile, Falcon and The Winter Soldier’s Don Cheadle is nominated for Guest Actor in a Drama Series.
Here is the complete list of nominations that both Marvel shows scored in this year’s Emmys:
- Outstanding Limited Series
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series (Elizabeth Olsen)
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series (Paul Bettany)
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series (Kathryn Hahn)
- Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series (Matt Shakman)
- Outstanding Writing for a Limited (three episodes)
- Chuck Hayward, Peter Cameron – “All-New Halloween Spooktacular!”
- Jan Schaeffer – “Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience”
- Laura Donney – “Previously On”
- Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour)
- Outstanding Casting for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie
- Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes
- Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie (two episodes: “On A Very Special Episode…” and “The Series Finale”)
- Outstanding Period and/or Character Hairstyling
- Outstanding Main Title Design
- Outstanding Period and or Character Makeup (Non-Prosthetic)
- Outstanding Music Composition for a Limited or Anthology Series, Movie or Special (Original Dramatic Score)
- Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics (“Agatha All Along”)
- Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music
- Outstanding Music Supervision
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Limited or Anthology Series, Movie or Special
- Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie
- Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Season or a Movie
Falcon and The Winter Soldier
- Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Don Cheadle)
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour)
- Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Season
- Outstanding Stunt Coordination
- Outstanding Stunt Performance
The 73rd Primetime Emmy Awards will be streamed live on September 20 at 8:30 a.m. PST on Paramount+.