The Rexton 4×4 SUV from Korean car manufacturer SsangYong is a cut above the rest. Standard luxury features and a more comfortable ride more than compensate what it lacks in engine displacement. The Rexton also exudes an imposing presence that makes it look bigger than it really is.
The smaller-than-standard 2.2L engine is actually more than capable to power the Rexton, either in rapid acceleration or full speed blasts. The engine is quiet and frugal on diesel, and the torque is more impressive than expected. The 7-speed automatic transmission works flawlessly with both the 4×2 and 4×4 systems.
Bucking the popular “floating roof” trend, SsangYong opted for a wider D-pillar for more support and different aesthetic. The only disadvantage here is the diminished outside view for the third-row passengers.
The big tire-and-chrome rims combination lends a sporty appearance for the Rexton. It’s a rare size option that is usually reserved for full-sized SUVs. Taller and wider, the wheels give the SUV the much needed highway speed stability despite its weight.
The Rexton sits high, giving the driver a commanding view of the road. It also gives confidence crossing through water with its estimated 550mm of wading depth capacity.
- The cabin is fully loaded with stitched leather upholstery and trims. Even the dash has a plaid stitched leather panel. The overall tan interior color with black accents is a nice departure from the standard black of the competition.
- The Rexton is replete with top-of-the-line features as standard: heated steering wheel, hot/cold front seats, steering wheel warmer, and a big moonroof. The twin AC system provides cool air for the cabin with a single vent for the third row.
- A lone dial at the center console activates the 4WD system. You can switch from 2WD to 4WD (or vice versa) to activate transfer case without stopping.
SsangYong Rexton 4×4 specs
- ENGINE: 2.2L turbocharged, Euro-4 16-valve inline-4 diesel
- TRANSMISSION: AISIN 7-speed automatic with three driving modes
- POWER: 179hp @ 4000rpm
- TORQUE: 420Nm @ 1400rpm
- BRAKES: ventilated disc front, disc rear
- SUSPENSION: double wishbone front, five-link coil springs rear
- TIRES: 255/50 R20
- SAFETY: driver, front passenger, side, curtain, and knee airbags; EBD, ABS, immobilizer, security alarm, stability control, electronic door locks, speed sensing door locks, ISOFIX
- PRICE: SsangYong Rexton 4×4 (P2,230,000, reviewed); SsangYong Rexton 4×2 (P1,730,000)
The SsangYong Rexton puts high priority on reliability and versatility without sacrificing ride comfort. With the Rexton, you get a full-option SUV with more features but at a lower price than its major competitors.