Huawei has debuted its newest foldable device: the Mate X2, which now has a completely redesigned inward-folding screen and a secondary screen on the outside when it’s folded.
Both of the displays on the foldable are OLED screens with refresh rates of up to 90Hz. Inside is an 8-inch display with a 2480 x 2200 resolution while the exterior sports a 6.45-inch panel with a 2700 x 1160 resolution.
The inner screen features a “magnetically controlled nano optical layer,” which minimizes light reflection and glare. And when folded, the device doesn’t have a gap. The hinge also protects the middle part of the screen from creasing.
Under the hood, the flagship Kirin 9000 processor powers the Mate X2 complemented by 8GB of RAM and a 4,500mAh battery that can be fast-charged at up to 55W. The chipset also makes this device 5G-capable.
The phone runs on EMUI 11.0 based on Android 10, but Huawei said it plans for the Mate X2 to be among the first phones to be updated to its own operating system, HarmonyOS, starting in April.
This foldable has a quad camera array on the back, which is co-developed with Leica. This setup consists of a 50MP main camera, 16MP ultrawide, 12MP telephoto with 3x optical zoom, and an 8MP Super Zoom lens.
The 16MP front camera is found on the secondary display, making the main display free of holes and notches. But that also means you can’t use the 8-inch screen for video calls.
Available in White, Black, Crystal Blue, and Crystal Pink, the Huawei Mate X2 is priced at RMB 17,999 (~P136,000) for the 256GB model and RMB 18,999 (~P143,000) for the 512GB model.
Huawei Mate X2 specs:
- EMUI 11.0 based on Android 10 (no Google Mobile Services)
- Interior screen: 8-inch OLED display (2480 x 2200) with 90Hz refresh rate
- Exterior screen: 6.45-inch OLED display (2700 x 1160) with 90Hz refresh rate
- Kirin 9000
- Mali-G78 GPU
- 8GB RAM
- 256/512GB storage
- Rear camera: 50MP (f/1.9) + 12MP (f/2.4) + 8MP (f/4.4) + 16MP (f/2.2)
- Front camera: 16MP (f/2.2)
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot, Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC, NFC, Infrared port, USB-C 3.1, OTG
- 4,500mAh battery with 55W fast charging
- White, Black, Crystal Blue, and Crystal Pink