The Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST-PCIEERD) and QBO Innovation Hub hosted the PH Startup Incubator Awards to recognize and reward top-performing Technology Business Incubators (TBIs) that have demonstrated outstanding capabilities and produced impactful programs and startups during the TBI 4.0 Program.
The TBI 4.0 program, funded by the DOST-PCIEERD and led by QBO Innovation Hub, aims to develop world-class TBIs and incubator managers and increase the number of quality tech startups in the Philippines. The program, which was initiated in 2019, also elevated the capacity and services of the 12 DOST-supported TBIs from all over the country, many of which were affiliated with local universities.
The TBI 4.0 program encompassed four main strategies: Co-incubation, Internationalization, Co-development of Programs, and Leveling Up. All these strategies are meant to further equip incubators with capabilities to develop Filipino tech startups.
The winners of the awards were announced on Zoom and Facebook Live on April 23. Each TBI was measured by its impact on each of the respective categories:
- Best Incubator Infrastructure – Center for Technopreneurship and Innovation (CTI) – Batangas State University
- Best Incubator Community Program – SIBOL Labs – University of the Philippines-Los Baños
- Best Incubator Startup Program – AIM-Dado Banatao Incubator – Asian Institute of Management
- Best Incubator Governance & Operations – UPSCALE Innovation Hub – University of the Philippines-Diliman
- Best Incubator Growth & Sustainability – Animo Labs – De La Salle University
- Extra Mile Incubator – Animo Labs – De La Salle University
- Rising Star Incubator – iDEYA- MSU Iligan Institute of Technology
- People’s Choice for Best Incubator Team – iDEYA – MSU Iligan Institute of Technology
- Grand Champion – UPSCALE Innovation Hub – University of the Philippines-Diliman
Winners from the Operational Excellence category awards each received a cash prize of P50,000 while the more prestigious awards including the Extra Mile Incubator, Rising Star Incubator, and the People’s Choice Incubator each received a cash prize of P80,000. The grand champion, UPSCALE Innovation Hub, received a cash prize of P100,000.
The TBI 4.0 Program will continue to provide a deeper engagement with the TBIs and further increase the impact of the program through collaboration and enriching experiences.