Alfred Molina has confirmed that he is reprising the role of Doctor Otto Octavious in Spider-Man: No Way Home, the third installment of Marvel and Sony’s Spider-Man films led by Tom Holland.
Reports of Molina’s return to the Spidey-verse made the rounds last year, along with rumors that the upcoming film will be featuring multiple generations of “Spider-Man” actors. While both Marvel and Sony remain quiet about it, Molina went ahead to nail down the facts in his recent interview with Variety.
“When we were shooting it, we were all under orders not to talk about it, because it was supposed to be some great big secret,” he told Variety. “But, you know, it’s all over the internet. I actually described myself as the worst kept secret in Hollywood!”
Molina first played the iconic villain in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 2 back in 2004. Although the 67-year-old actor initially worried about aging a lot since then, he would ultimately describe going back on the set as “wonderful.”
“It was very interesting going back after 17 years to play the same role, given that in the intervening years, I now have two chins, a wattle, crow’s feet and a slightly a slightly dodgy lower back,” he said.
Apart from his physical condition, Molina was also concerned on how No Way Home would bring back Doc Ock since, as he said, “I died” in the previous film. To which director Jon Watts replied, “In this universe, no one really dies.”
Spider-Man: No Way Home is swinging to theaters on December 17, 2021.
Read next: Disney’s Avengers Campus opening in June